Author Topic: Paddle in-stroke diagrams...  (Read 13654 times)

Phillipuk

• Inactive
  • -
Paddle in-stroke diagrams...
« on: April 21, 2008, 05:05PM »
I found these on a personal blog, but the diagrams came from "The Paddler's Guide to Outrigger Canoeing," 2007. 

They depict the various angles of the blade through the catch, power phase, and exit, which I've found helpful...

lauriepaddler

Re: Paddle in-stroke diagrams...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:53PM »
Ladies,

I will print these diagrams out, as it confirms what we have already been working on thus far.

Laurie

painteur

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43PM »
As soon as I dig it out I'll post Danny's diagram. None of the above diagrams show one of the most important part of the stroke: ROTATION, which engages your latissimi dorsi and transfers your weight into the stroke rather then locomotive back and forth with the resulting stop and go, or bobbing.
On an Oc1 watch the wake your bow is creating in flat water. If it stays at the same angle away from the boat your rotating properly. If it constantly changes from wide to narrow you are bobbing or going  back and forth with your upper body which forces the boat up = fast, and then down = slow. You negate what you gained. It kills the glide.

painteur

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 11:01PM »
Not to be a pest, but the most profound difference from Danny's clinic for me was the concept of the catch. When I look at the diagram posted, I see (1) entry and then (2) catch and drive. There should be a diagram in between 1 and 2 which ideally should show fully buried blade at 45 degrees before you start driving. Let your weight be the helper in the burial. It's free.
Trust me I'm working on this. I've got 32 miles to cover soon and would love to do just that for at least the first 10 miles.

Phillipuk

• Inactive
  • -
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:55AM »
Slide 3 talks about using your "core," muscles and rotating around the spine.   

The point of posting the slides was to show the position of the paddle through the water, and when to exit, considering that it's been a big theme in team practices:  getting in up front, and getting out early so as not to drag on the boat.

These slides were excerpted from the book, as I mentioned, which goes into all the detail you described, and then some.  It just wouldn't have been practical to re-create all of that on this board.

Phillipuk

• Inactive
  • -
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 11:37AM »
GOOD LUCK WITH THOSE 32 MILES!