Author Topic: outriggers rescued near oakland  (Read 4188 times)

MARLA

• Alumni
  • -
outriggers rescued near oakland
« on: April 09, 2009, 11:54AM »
not sure which canoe club this was... but I bet those waters are cold!

http://www.paddlermagazine.com/news/accident-reports/12-canoeists-rescued-near-oakland-calif.html

The real story, Coast Guard helpful, but ...
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 2:52:38 PM
Subject: Donna and the rest of the Kaimanu folks are doing fine....
All,

Apparently, a men's crew and a women's crew ventured out to the bay last night and as they made their turn to head back in, the men's crew huli'd. As the women approached them, they saw that they righted the canoe and were bailing and proceeded on thinking the guys were faster and would catch up to them. In their buddy system mentality, the women's crew couldn't see the men's crew behind them and ended up heading back to make sure they were okay. Unfortunately, every time the men would right the canoe and bail, the boat kept swamping. At this point, the men's crew was in the water. It's good they all put on lifejackets to help keep them stay afloat. They tried to tie the men's boat to the women's boat but the boats would hit each other and make the women's boat take on water and an executive decision was made to let the men's boat go. At this point, all 12 paddlers were in one canoe. They then decided to paddle toward the end of the airport runway as it was close and then they would figure something out once they got there. Unfortunately, the canoe swamped and now all 12 were in the water.

Bryan Miyake and Kaimanu's head coach (forgot his name but might be Jack) were waiting on shore and wondering where they were at. They waited a little while, but once they realized they weren't coming, I believe Bryan borrowed a friend's small boat, went out looking for the crews and found the 12. Bryan started taking 3 paddlers at a time back to shore and also called the coast guard. Some conversations were exchanged with Bryan and the Coast Guard, but eventually they were dispatched. Bryan was able to bring I think at least 6 people back to shore. By this time, the coast guard helicopter showed up and asked if anyone was hurt. Donna told them no, they were all just cold. The coast guard then told her she had to go with them and they hoisted her into the helicopter basket and was taken to the hospital. She didn't want to go and didn't know why she was singled out, but they gave her no choice. She was worried about everyone else and wanted to make sure her paddlers were safe, but she was in the hospital. She really didn't have hypothermia, but she was taken to the hospital just in case. She's been hearing bits and pieces from everyone of what happened afterward.

They ended up tying the women's boat to a pier/pylon. Bryan went out this morning to look for both canoes. This morning, he found the Stryker (women's canoe) luckily as it was no longer tied up to the pier/pylon. He brought it back and reported that it had a big hole in it that might not be worth fixing. I believe he was going out again this afternoon to look for the men's canoe.

All in all, the paddlers are fine and well. Donna is a bit bummed because those were 2 of their better canoes, but happy that everyone is safe.

I told her to please let Kilohana know if there's anything we can help them with.

Although the stories are going out saying the men saved the women, it was the women who came to the rescue of the men. I had to add that in since Donna wanted to get the story straight!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:57AM by yakmar »

kimwilliamson

Re: outriggers rescued near oakland
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:20PM »
Good story!
Good lesson and info for all of us!
Thanks!
Kim

Angie C.

• Board Member
  • -
  • Global Moderator
  • Women's Team
  • Board Member
  • Design Committee
Re: outriggers rescued near oakland
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 02:19PM »
Hey, wasn't that one of our previous boats??  I think it was the Bruddah Nappy!  :'(  Hope they find it.