Author Topic: OC1 Fishing  (Read 11145 times)

Peter

OC1 Fishing
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:55PM »
If you are into fishing, this is a good way to train and fish at the same time.  I tied one of my speargun rubbers to my Iako and about 30 yards of 100 pound test line to the rubber, a swivel, and a 5 inch rapala lure to the end of that - and went on the normal paddle to all those pins outside of the marina...this was my first attempt, but I got lucky with a average size bonito - about a mile outside the breakwall.  I would assume that there are a lot of bonito pushing the baitballs right now - ie those big bird piles...but haven't had a chance to fish one of those yet.  In the summer the action should be better as it will be yellowtail and white sea bass pushing the bait...
The downside is that catching a fish interferes with your training as there is no where to put the fish - other than to sit on it.  haha.  More of something to do on days where you are just going on a leisure paddle as opposed to training. 

Cal - attached are pics of the fish I was telling you about.  Tasted delicious by the way...:)

Aloha,
Peter

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
  • Full Name: Steven Cho
Re: OC1 Fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 06:48PM »
nice one peter.. next time just go with the speargun. i'll go with you
A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:51PM »
I've been diving Palos Verdes pretty steady - lots of sheephead, lobster, tako, and fry fish right now...summer will be better to shoot the big stuff though...I'll let you know when I go next.

painteur

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:49PM »
That sounds cool.
You could tie a small triangular net to the front iako and ama  for dead fish storage.

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
  • Full Name: Steven Cho
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:17AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2GGuXf83oBk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2GGuXf83oBk</a>
A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for.

Francesco

• Alumni
  • -
  • acqua lover
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:10PM »
Cho, i am ready to go fishing....

Peter

Molokai Channel
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:55PM »
Hey Christian,

I was wondering if you still had your workout calendar/schedule/distances/etc for when you were training for Molokai Solo.  If you don't mind, I was hoping you could email it to me?
My email is: pfukunag@gmail.com

thanks and aloha,
peter

anything