Author Topic: T-shirt Translation  (Read 9690 times)

stacey

• Inactive
  • -
T-shirt Translation
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:41AM »
Hey Marina

I love our new T-shirts --thanks to those for all the hard work put into them.  There is a blessing, prayer or story on our shirts---and I wish I new the meaning.  So-- could someone give us a brief translation (or whole -if you have room). I know I will be blessed.

Stacey

Oh and if any of the other clubs ever ask us at the races--we can know the meaning---Mahalo

Tama

• Alumni
  • -
  • Ta 'ule 'oe
    • Home page
Re: T-shirt Translation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:16AM »
Mahalo no ka hoihoi ia 'oe e Stacey,

" 'O Ku-wa o ka lani" he inoa ke oli.  Ma ka manawa kahiko e na kahuna, ua ho'omaika'i na wa'a. 

Nana keia:

O Ku-wa o ka lani, o Ku-wa o ka honua,
O Ku-wa o ka mauna, o Ku-wa o ka moana,
O Ku-wa o ka po, o Ku-wa o ke ao,
O Malualani ke Ku-wa, O Malu-hopu ke Ku-wa,
Aia no ia ko'i la ke Ku-wa,
Ka wa'a nei o ka luahine makua.
Ka luahine! Owai?
O ka luahine o Papa, wahine o Wakea.
Nana i kuwa, nana i hainu
Nana I ho'onoanoa
Noa ke kuwa o ka wa'a o Waea,
O ka wa'a nei o ka luahine makua.
Ka luahine! Owai?
Ka luahine o Lea, wahin a Moku-hali'i.
Nana i kuwa, nana i hainu
Nana ihele, nana i a'e,
Nana i ho'onoanoa.
Noa ke kuwa o ka wa'a o Mokuali'i
Hinu helelei aku,
Hinu helelei mai,
He miki oe Kane
He miki oe Kanaloa.
O Kanaloa hea oe?
O Kanaloa inu awa.
Mai Upolu ka awa
Mai Wawau ka awa
E hano awa hua
E hano awa puaka.
Halapa i ke a kua i laau wai la.
Amama ua noa.
Lele wale aku la.

Uplifter of the heavens, uplifter of the earth
Uplifter of the mountains, uplifter of the ocean,
Who has appointed the night, appointed the day,
Malualani is the Kuwa and Maluahopu,
That ax also is a kuwa.
This is the ax of our venerable ancenstral dame (woman)
Venerable dame! What dame?
Dame Papa, the wife of Wakea.
She set apart and consecrated, she turned the tree about,
She impelled it, she guided it.
She lifted the tabu from it.
Gone is the tabu from our canoe of Wakea.
The canoe this if our ancestral dame.
Ancestral dame! What dame?
Dame Lea, wife of Moku-hali'i;
She initiated, she pointed the canoe;
She started it, she guided it;
She lifted the tabu from it,
Lifted was the tabu from the canoe of Wakea.
Fat drippin here;
Fat dripping there.
Active art thou Kane;
Active art thou Kanaloa.
What Kanaloa art thou?
Kanalo the awa-drinker.
Awa from Tahiti,
Awa from Upolu,
Awa from Wawau.
Bottle up the frothy awa,
Bottle up the well strained awa.
Praise be to the God in the highest heaven (laau) !
The tabu is lifted, removed.
It flies away.

The use of this oli was found in the book, "Mo'olelo Hawaii", "Hawaiian Antiquities". In it, the author, David Malo & Nathaniel Emerson, recount how this chant was used.   The canoe is by it's onset a sacred thing and event.  There are different ways a tree is selected in becoming a canoe.  One such way was observing how a woodpecker, usually a kinolau ( earthly form) of the goddess Papa (who also takes other forms and goes by other names), flies through the forrest, and by it's observed actions by na kahuna, they then find that tree suitable.  Along with other cerimonial protocols, the tree is felled.  Through the duration of the creation of the wa'a, canoe.. it's kept in a halau (long house), and is cared for  like a person.  Some offerings that are give during this time is in the forms of food, one being pigs and pig fat. 

when the canoe is ready to be sailed, it's then hauled down to the waters edge, and bathed in water, and then oli or chants are recited.  When a canoe is basically test driven in the water, this oli is said, "O Ku-wa o ka lani".  When the "test drive" is over, it returns to shore, and the kahuna asks the people in the canoe, if sailed well.. if so then it is done.  The Kapu is lifted. 

There are so many kanona ( deeper meanings ) in ths chant that it would take up way too much time on a forum to type out.  The chant i used for our first race, was to symbolize our embarkment for our season, that it's gone underway, the first of this year... 

Also in regards to na inoa 'o na wa'a, the names of the canoes.  I have this to say;

We know the literal translation of these children.  But for those who did the actual name creation, they are the ones who know the real meaning to those names.  I'm not trying to mystify the names.  But in Hawaiian tradition, it's really about the event that surrounds the names.   If on the morning there was a rainbow and there was mist that hung atop the hills, there would be name associated with that:  Kanoe'ulaokalani. Or often times, names are bestowed from beyond Po, the deep, the nether world.  My name is such a name, Kama, or Tama.  It's considered a spirit name.  In hawaiian families, names are usually pondered and given by na kupuna, and they have the same inception, what's special or uniqute to it.   So, the canoe 'Uhane 'O Kekuewa.  CAn you guess what that name is and how it's specific and unique?   The rest of the are the same.  I sincerely hope that the other hui o wa'a, canoe clubs have the same.  That they don't put a bling fold on and flip through the pages of a modern hawaian dictionary, and randomly place their finger, and find a cool sounding hawaiian name.  I'm sure they don't however. 

Hope this helps..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:28AM by Tama »
"You will be living in the haole time, and the wise thing to do is to move with the time, because time is a thing that belongs to no one....There's only one thing I ask of you, my children - You are Hawai'i, and I would appreciate that you remain Hawaii"

stacey

• Inactive
  • -
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 12:14PM »
Thank-you  Thank-you  Thank-you  Tama

Everytime I'm in the canoes or just seeing them I will think of this blessing/story---but especially when I'm on the water--for now there are not just six but seven we are riding with.

And yes--'Uhane O'kekuewa---honor tribute----the Bradley 133---hope I got that right----but if there is more to it ----let us know

Marina--you are my Ohana

Stacey

And thanks to Dawn and Charlotte for giving me the courage post this topic-love you
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:18PM by stacey »

Kim S.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:56PM »
WOW...I am so proud to be a part of this group.  Thank you Tama and congrats Stacey for finally posting!

Moe

Tama

• Alumni
  • -
  • Ta 'ule 'oe
    • Home page
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 02:24PM »
mahalo no ka hoihoi a 'oe pu e Moe. 

ina ka manawa.... ina ke kaha... 'o a'o hawaii a mau a me na wa'a....
"You will be living in the haole time, and the wise thing to do is to move with the time, because time is a thing that belongs to no one....There's only one thing I ask of you, my children - You are Hawai'i, and I would appreciate that you remain Hawaii"

Nohealani

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 09:52AM »
FYI, there is a website that has hawaiian books. There is one called Hawaiian Canoe Building.

http://hawaiidigitallibrary.org/hdl_books.php?hdl_range_start=a&hdl_range_end=k&hdl_language=haw

Also, Laiakea came from my nephews name Laiakeaoaloaliilani. His name came from his Tutu, and came from her dream. Basically she saw a big valley, and she was dancing hula in front of an alii. I dont remember which alii or which valley, but thats my manao of what i can recall. Calvin needed a name for the lightning, so he asked Ona, and she thought Laiakea was a cool name, so she called me for the spelling. I forget where the kahakos and okinas go.  So basically, it is a "cool sounding hawaiian name" that also has meaning to it.

Tama

• Alumni
  • -
  • Ta 'ule 'oe
    • Home page
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:42AM »
Mahalo no e Nohea ia ka mana'o kau...

Thank you Nohea for your mana'o...

You can see that by the etymology of the word that there is a distinct history and meaning behind the name...  I wanted to make our club members aware that the names have their own meanings, and where they come from.   And by the sounds of it, this particular name has some serious ho'ailona and mana.

anything