Author Topic: Aotearoa/New Zealand  (Read 8642 times)

jollytanaka

• Alumni
  • -
Aotearoa/New Zealand
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:28PM »
OK, so this isn't exactly paddling related, but the question of the name "New Zealand" was posed during tonight's practice.

From Wikipedia:

The first European name for New Zealand was Staten Landt, the name given to it by the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman, who in 1642 became the first European to see the islands. Tasman assumed it was part of a southern continent connected with land discovered in 1615 off the southern tip of South America by Jacob Le Maire. The name New Zealand originated with Dutch cartographers, who called the islands Nova Zeelandia, after the Dutch province of Zeeland.[7] No-one is certain exactly who first coined the term, but it first appeared in 1645 and may have been the choice of cartographer Johan Blaeu.[8] British explorer James Cook subsequently anglicised the name to New Zealand.

AdamD

• Men's Team
  • -
  • Go buy rice!
    • Adam.son.Com
Re: Aotearoa/New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29AM »
what was the question?

jollytanaka

• Alumni
  • -
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:47AM »
We were talking about Whakapaignia and where he is from (Aotearoa/New Zealand).  Someone asked something akin to "what kind of name is New Zealand?" 

AdamD

• Men's Team
  • -
  • Go buy rice!
    • Adam.son.Com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:52AM »
good 'ol Captain Kook, always anglicising things.

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
  • Full Name: Steven Cho
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:07AM »
maori must be bummed about new zealand... it'll be like as if hawaii was still called the sandwich islands..  or tahiti still called the society islands (they still might be called that)...samoa is still samoa. 
A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for.

andrew c

• Inactive
  • -
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11AM »
Ahhh...New Zealand.  The place where men are men and the sheep are nervous... or so my Australian buddies tell me. ;D

painteur

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 06:42PM »
we didn't rename Samoa when we owned it. Germoa didn'sound right, but we spell canoe "kanu"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:44PM by Christian »

scorrell

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:05PM »
You mean Germany successfully conquered something?

painteur

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:11PM »
apparently a lot less bloody then what your country has  been trying to conquer  the last 5 years.

Jim

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 09:24PM »
March 15, 1889.  The US and Germany each had three warships anchored in Apia harbor, Samoa, as a typhoon approached.  Neither side was willing to leave in order to gain sea room against the storm, because each feared the other country would take advantage of some local troubles to take full control.  The result of the pissing match?  Four ships wrecked, the other two severely damaged, 140 sailors killed. 

And I'm sure when it was all over the locals had a kava or six and said, "Stupid palangis." 

Which is the same thing Ski and Mahe called me when I beat them at dominoes.

Tama

• Alumni
  • -
  • Ta 'ule 'oe
    • Home page
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 02:07PM »
At least the Maori have a their own nation. I can thank Whakapaignia for reminding me of that.
"You will be living in the haole time, and the wise thing to do is to move with the time, because time is a thing that belongs to no one....There's only one thing I ask of you, my children - You are Hawai'i, and I would appreciate that you remain Hawaii"

anything