Author Topic: Dume Bowl (VIDEO)  (Read 7613 times)

Earl

• Coach
  • -
  • Men's Team
  • Equipment Managers
  • "You are what you make of yourself!!"
Dume Bowl (VIDEO)
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:01AM »
SUN...SW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT...BECOMING W 20 TO 30 KT. COMBINED SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. CHANCE OF SHOWERS...THEN SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. .MON...NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 2 TO 3 FT. W SWELL 3 TO 5 FT. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:27PM by cho »
“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves."

" Be like Water-Formless shapeless "

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
  • Full Name: Steven Cho
Re: Dume Bowl
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 10:25AM »
this may be a good time to test out the mugu to dume run.. we'll see on sat on the conditions do
A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for.

painteur

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37AM »
Epic by any standards, more exciting then the super bowl. Biggest water I've ever paddled. Lowest speed in the first 7 miles 10.2 mph and highest speed 11.4 mph. Right at Dume  a batch of 20' faces. Automatic recovery, as soon as your paddle came out of the water it got blown forward. You had to hold on to the paddle.
11 miles of pure adrenaline.
Can't wait for cho's video.

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:16AM »
that was just ridiculous...

winds 25k, 35k gusts
air temp 55 deg
water temp 56 deg
8' wind swell
rain in the morning, but beautiful when we went out

football sized beds of kelp to get through at the end getting dark with the sun going down, and trying to find the exit beach freezing our asses off...

but it was a fantastic course... leo carrillo to dume.  we'll have to do it again... and again.  video coming soon
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:18AM by cho »

gordo_la

• Alumni
  • -
  • MDR Comm. Boating Council
  • Gordon Armstrong
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:03PM »
Bravo you guys!  I don't think the Coast Guard even goes out in those conditions!!!!!!! ;D

painteur

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:56PM »
8' wind swells it definitely was. 20' faces may be extreme, but I remember on the outside of Dume rocks even on our last year flat dume run was twice as big as the rest. There were a few waves at that spot on Sunday where I was twice as high above Steve on the crest of a wave as he crossed through the trough right in front of me.
Magical !

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17PM »
<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5858221911285475598" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5858221911285475598</a>

anything