Author Topic: Canoe Huli  (Read 24635 times)

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
  • Full Name: Steven Cho
Canoe Huli
« on: June 14, 2006, 08:33AM »
Based on the events of last nights practice, if you haven't read this already, you should... it's in our novice section

http://www.marinaoutrigger.org/content/view/102/85/

i believe that our site is the only one that i've come across that still has the article in it's entirety with illustrations.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:50AM by cho »
A ship in harbor is safe - but that is not what ships are for.

AdamD

• Men's Team
  • -
  • Go buy rice!
    • Adam.son.Com
Re: Canoe Huli
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:31AM »
canoe huli?  more like canoe sink!

i'd like to apologize to my crew for that major malfunction last night.

adamD

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:48AM »
no apologies required.  shit happens.  let's do it again. 

painteur

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:44PM »
I thought it turned out to be a great lesson in emptying a drowned canoe, and the biggest lesson was to jump out of the boat before it swamps then bail and one by one get back in. We didn't do that and then had to do 10-12 intentional hulis to get the water 8 inches below the gunwhales then bailed some more and finally emptied the canoe. It was a lot of work but persistence paid of.

Nice adventure
Christian

Sandor

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 02:28PM »
We had three and four bailing the whole time.  May not always be necessary, but we need to remeber to start bailing before you think you have too.

Also, we might consider taking a different heading in those conditions-  Track about 15 degrees north of the swell direction for one piece, then track the other side for the next.  I don't know really, but it might work.  Any thoughts on that stearsmen?

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 03:00PM »
no, the correct angle is 14.125 degrees, but only on a low tide, 16.75 degrees on an incoming tide, but then again only when it's offshore, if it's onshore, then all bets are off. 

nah, sandy's right, don't hit it head on
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 04:16PM by cho »

painteur

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 03:42PM »
hey by the way,
I was sitting 4 and was already bailing when we got overwhelmed.
So I agree. 3 should have been bailing and then again we had only 1 bucket.

Christian

Sandor

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 04:09PM »
Ha Ha-

ok ok, a little tecky, but we should just stay on that line.
Kinda like a sailboat would tack one way then another.
But they have to go 45 degrees off the direction of the wind.
or 44.675 ;D

baywatch

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 08:29PM »
how can i follow that dialogue?  i would agree with the tacking thing + or - a few degrees.  however, sometimes the swell "pours" over the gunwales more efficiently and can swamp the canoe quicker if your angle is between those before listed tolerances.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:39AM by baywatch »

Sandor

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:24PM »
 :D

Sandor

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 09:26PM »
It's o.k. if you huli, I'm a lifeguard- I'll save you! :-*

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:44PM »
save that for the chicks sandy. oh wait, you're married, you can't use that anymore

Molokai Matt

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 08:37AM »
I'm in agreement with Baywatch, angling into a big swell will often get you sideways to the swell, which fills the boat even worse than taking it elevator style.  It's probably true that angling off the swell just a little is best, but as soon as the boat goes any further off perp. and a swell hits, it fills.  We tried this in years past.

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 11:07AM »
I'm in agreement with Baywatch, angling into a big swell will often get you sideways to the swell, which fills the boat even worse than taking it elevator style. It's probably true that angling off the swell just a little is best, but as soon as the boat goes any further off perp. and a swell hits, it fills. We tried this in years past.

This is not true.  Hitting it dead on, elevator style or escalator style is no good, unless you have spray covers.  You have to to angle to let the boat slide over the top, especially so as not to get caught bridging two waves in the trough.

what happened that night with the swamp was probably the boat was going directly into the wave,  with some short interval swell, and was in the trough and the wave just filled the boat straight from the top both sides.

we're not talking a major angle, but a slight angle off perpendicular usually will help.

AdamD

• Men's Team
  • -
  • Go buy rice!
    • Adam.son.Com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 01:13PM »
This is not true.  Hitting it dead on, elevator style or escalator style is no good, unless you have spray covers.  You have to to angle to let the boat slide over the top, especially so as not to get caught bridging two waves in the trough.

what happened that night with the swamp was probably the boat was going directly into the wave,  with some short interval swell, and was in the trough and the wave just filled the boat straight from the top both sides.

we're not talking a major angle, but a slight angle off perpendicular usually will help.

that's exactly what happened.  i was headed dead on into the waves.
thanks for all the knowledge you guys are dropping on this thread.
we'll see how i do next time.

baywatch

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 09:30PM »
when sandy asked ..."any thoughts steersmen" i thought that maybe my 12 years of steering experience might help the discussion.  i agree that 15' or so would be my choice...definitely not 45' or 44.675  :D or cho's 14.125 to 16.75...actually my opinion falls within those tolerences...anyway :D  i know cho hates the use of these dumb ass icons...but what the fuck...if sandy can use them...then so can i...even if i do feel like a dork....Sandy Kahanamoku taught me how to steer back in '94 and i clearly remember him telling me to angle slightly, +/- 10 to 15 ' toward the swell and above all...make sure there are enough Bud lights in my cooler for to talk story afters... :)...that is the last time i am using those icons...unless i hear that it really anoyes cho..then i'll reconsider.  thanks for your support molokai matt for your clear thinking and support...even though the non beleivers don't respect your opinion.... ;D
damn...i forgot that i said i wouldn't use those again.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:13PM by baywatch »

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 11:24PM »
no, i really LOVE those icons, so you don't have to keep using them just to spite me... really, i do.   i love em.  i want to put one in right now.  ok, maybe another time.

baywatch

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 11:31PM »
 ;D :) ;) :o 8) :o :-\ :P ::) 8) :o :'( :D ;D ;D ;D ;D...just messin' with ya cho.  i'm bummed that worked ramped up the way it did and that i can't join you guys right now.  have a great time in SD...i'll be thinking about you all when i am board as hell waiting for something interesting to happen in a stinky '70's mansion that reeks of dog urine...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 06:42AM by baywatch »

alli moku-mermel

• Women's Team
  • -
  • Design Committee
  • Home Race Committee
  • --
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 11:34AM »
I don't know if ya'll want a "girls" perspective but too bad.
In my experience you never want to head directly into a swell for a few reasons, one being a huli.
I always take my boat a few degrees to the left in order to steer my ama over the wave.  as long as your ama has a surface to ride you lower your risk of huli.  doing this also allows a smoother ride for your stroker.  by going directly into a swell the stroker has limited water to grab because of being tossed about.  they tend to like you better when you givet them water to pull and you'll also go faster.
my rule is that i steer with the ama not the boat,always making sure that the ama has a surface to glide, it's never stabbing the wave but riding over it.
life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 01:30PM »
women always have the last word

painteur

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 09:19PM »
Let me flog this dead pony one more time.
This whole thing is not about huli at all. Nobody hulied. All that happened was swamping and the discussion is about how to avoid that and how to empty a swamped kanu.
2 cents
Christian

cho

• Administrator
  • -
  • Coach
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 10:54PM »
This whole thing is not about huli at all. Nobody hulied. All that happened was swamping and the discussion is about how to avoid that and how to empty a swamped kanu.

i think that's what the whole discussion is about.

Sandor

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 10:28AM »
I think our discussion has simply evolved from what happened last week to how is the best way for us to head out in those conditions. 

Good topic-

Good contributions-

Alli Wins!

anything